cloven hooves The Personal Is Political Women's Health Article Losing Both Ovaries Could Come at a Serious Cost to The Brain, Researchers Find

Article Losing Both Ovaries Could Come at a Serious Cost to The Brain, Researchers Find

Article Losing Both Ovaries Could Come at a Serious Cost to The Brain, Researchers Find

Jun 28 2024, 3:52 PM
Research shows women under 50 who'd had their ovaries removed had reduced white matter in their brains, and also are at higher risk of dementia later on.  

https://www.sciencealert.com/losing-both-ovaries-could-come-at-a-serious-cost-to-the-brain-researchers-find
Berry
Jun 28 2024, 3:52 PM #1

Research shows women under 50 who'd had their ovaries removed had reduced white matter in their brains, and also are at higher risk of dementia later on.  

https://www.sciencealert.com/losing-both-ovaries-could-come-at-a-serious-cost-to-the-brain-researchers-find

Daisy
Kozlik's regular account 🐐🌼
Jun 29 2024, 10:21 AM
Quote:The ovaries are involved in far more than just reproduction.

At least we're finally getting to that point where society is starting to realize women aren't just baby-making machines and our sex organs have more meaning than just in the context of babymaking... 😒 (Can't help but have a "no shit Sherlock" when I read things like that.)

Quote:In light of recent evidence, some experts argue that the risks and benefits of removing both ovaries at a young age are not being weighed appropriately by surgeons or patients. For children and adolescents, removal of both ovaries for benign conditions may be 'unnecessary' and come with lifelong risks.

If both ovaries are removed during a person's reproductive years, the body can enter early menopause, and this increases the risk of severe chronic health conditions that include bone density loss, impaired sexual health, cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, sleep apnea, and arthritis.

I get worried about TIFs when I read articles like this. They are so blinded in self-hatred (internalized misogyny) that they fail to realize our sexed organs matter more than just to use as a symbol of rejecting "femininity"... Our sex organs are not pronoun badges we can rip off without consequences.

This also applies to childfree women who are eager to have full hysterectomies. I am childfree myself, and was thinking of someday having these procedures, but I always hesitated, considering the health risks and repercussions of the procedures. (Also I get annoyed because it takes two to get pregnant, men need to be held way more responsible for reducing unwanted pregnancies. It's so frustrating how women are left to bear the brunt of avoiding pregnancy when men's methods to avoid pregnancy are so much less invasive and damaging to their health than women's.)

Kozlik's regular member account. 🐐🌼
Daisy
Jun 29 2024, 10:21 AM #2

Quote:The ovaries are involved in far more than just reproduction.

At least we're finally getting to that point where society is starting to realize women aren't just baby-making machines and our sex organs have more meaning than just in the context of babymaking... 😒 (Can't help but have a "no shit Sherlock" when I read things like that.)

Quote:In light of recent evidence, some experts argue that the risks and benefits of removing both ovaries at a young age are not being weighed appropriately by surgeons or patients. For children and adolescents, removal of both ovaries for benign conditions may be 'unnecessary' and come with lifelong risks.

If both ovaries are removed during a person's reproductive years, the body can enter early menopause, and this increases the risk of severe chronic health conditions that include bone density loss, impaired sexual health, cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, sleep apnea, and arthritis.

I get worried about TIFs when I read articles like this. They are so blinded in self-hatred (internalized misogyny) that they fail to realize our sexed organs matter more than just to use as a symbol of rejecting "femininity"... Our sex organs are not pronoun badges we can rip off without consequences.

This also applies to childfree women who are eager to have full hysterectomies. I am childfree myself, and was thinking of someday having these procedures, but I always hesitated, considering the health risks and repercussions of the procedures. (Also I get annoyed because it takes two to get pregnant, men need to be held way more responsible for reducing unwanted pregnancies. It's so frustrating how women are left to bear the brunt of avoiding pregnancy when men's methods to avoid pregnancy are so much less invasive and damaging to their health than women's.)

Kozlik's regular member account. 🐐🌼