cloven hooves Feminist Repository Feminist Discourse Is consciousness raising activism?

Is consciousness raising activism?

Is consciousness raising activism?

Poll: is consciousness-raising activism?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

yes
66.67%
Votes 2
no
0%
Votes 0
nuance (written below)
33.33%
Votes 1

Total 3 vote(s) 100%
Jun 19 2024, 10:33 PM
what it says on the lid.  got any hot takes? cold takes? lukewarm takes?
feministdragon
Jun 19 2024, 10:33 PM #1

what it says on the lid.  got any hot takes? cold takes? lukewarm takes?

Kozlik
Bahhh 💜🐐
Jun 20 2024, 9:49 PM
I think it is a form of activism. Especially when it's considered in the form of the "talk circles" back in the 2nd wave.

It is a way to get women to understand the patriarchal forces around us. It helps encourage women to become feminists, or to take feminist actions.

Consciousness raising can come in many forms now, I think. Like making art or writing articles about women's oppression. I consider stickering to be a fun way to try and raise class consciousness. Talking to women about misogyny in their every day lives, in the media, in their work, in their communities -- it matters.

I don't think activism needs to come in big sweeping gestures. It certainly can, and that is important as well. And small acts of consciousness raising I do think count. I think of it kind of like the quote "The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood." but in a more positive light -- every little feminist action we do helps up move forward. The single raindrop might not feel like it waters much soil, but many raindrops will eventually hydrate the earth and allow life to flourish.
Kozlik
Jun 20 2024, 9:49 PM #2

I think it is a form of activism. Especially when it's considered in the form of the "talk circles" back in the 2nd wave.

It is a way to get women to understand the patriarchal forces around us. It helps encourage women to become feminists, or to take feminist actions.

Consciousness raising can come in many forms now, I think. Like making art or writing articles about women's oppression. I consider stickering to be a fun way to try and raise class consciousness. Talking to women about misogyny in their every day lives, in the media, in their work, in their communities -- it matters.

I don't think activism needs to come in big sweeping gestures. It certainly can, and that is important as well. And small acts of consciousness raising I do think count. I think of it kind of like the quote "The single raindrop never feels responsible for the flood." but in a more positive light -- every little feminist action we do helps up move forward. The single raindrop might not feel like it waters much soil, but many raindrops will eventually hydrate the earth and allow life to flourish.