cloven hooves The Personal Is Political Women of Color Article ‘Voting feels like a battle’: A group of Black women reimagines voter turnout

Article ‘Voting feels like a battle’: A group of Black women reimagines voter turnout

Article ‘Voting feels like a battle’: A group of Black women reimagines voter turnout

Daisy
Kozlik's regular account 🐐🌼
Sep 20 2024, 1:26 PM
Louisiana Illuminator,  September 17 2024.

https://lailluminator.com/2024/09/17/black-women-vote/

Quote:The Mississippi Black Women’s Roundtable faces roadblocks in a state with a deep history of voter suppression.

Quote:[Cassandra] Welchlin is executive director of the Mississippi Black Women’s Roundtable, a civic engagement and policy advocacy organization whose members, all of them Black women, have traveled the state for months to host trainings called the “Power of the Sister Vote Boot Camp.”

On paper, their goal with the boot camps is an increase in voter turnout among Black women in the Mississippi counties where they visit. They also want to create a years-in-the-making pipeline to better mobilize Black women, whom Welchin views as the glue holding together democracy, especially in a state and region that continues to be impacted by policies that have historically suppressed Black voters.

“I was raised in a house of Black women — my aunties, my grandma, and then the neighborhood of elders,” she said. “I know the power of Black women taking care of Black women, and taking care of the community.”
Edited Sep 20 2024, 1:28 PM by Daisy.

Kozlik's regular member account. 🐐🌼
Daisy
Sep 20 2024, 1:26 PM #1

Louisiana Illuminator,  September 17 2024.

https://lailluminator.com/2024/09/17/black-women-vote/

Quote:The Mississippi Black Women’s Roundtable faces roadblocks in a state with a deep history of voter suppression.

Quote:[Cassandra] Welchlin is executive director of the Mississippi Black Women’s Roundtable, a civic engagement and policy advocacy organization whose members, all of them Black women, have traveled the state for months to host trainings called the “Power of the Sister Vote Boot Camp.”

On paper, their goal with the boot camps is an increase in voter turnout among Black women in the Mississippi counties where they visit. They also want to create a years-in-the-making pipeline to better mobilize Black women, whom Welchin views as the glue holding together democracy, especially in a state and region that continues to be impacted by policies that have historically suppressed Black voters.

“I was raised in a house of Black women — my aunties, my grandma, and then the neighborhood of elders,” she said. “I know the power of Black women taking care of Black women, and taking care of the community.”

Kozlik's regular member account. 🐐🌼