cloven hooves The Personal Is Political Women's Rights News EU top court rules Afghan women are a persecuted group

News EU top court rules Afghan women are a persecuted group

News EU top court rules Afghan women are a persecuted group

Yesterday, 7:37 PM
Deutsche Welle, October 4 2024.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/eu-top-court-rules-afghan-women-are-a-persecuted-group/a-70404394

Quote:The European Court of Justice (ECJ), the highest court in the EU, ruled on Friday that women in Afghanistan are subjected to persecution by the Taliban.
Quote:The ruling said that certain discriminatory measures adopted by the Taliban constitute "acts of persecution," citing forced marriage and lack of protection against gender-based violence.
Quote:The ECJ also ruled that authorities in EU member states do not need to establish whether Afghan women will be subjected to persecution if they return home, on an individual basis. Instead, the court said that "it is sufficient to take into account her nationality and gender alone."
scndskn
Yesterday, 7:37 PM #1

Deutsche Welle, October 4 2024.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/eu-top-court-rules-afghan-women-are-a-persecuted-group/a-70404394

Quote:The European Court of Justice (ECJ), the highest court in the EU, ruled on Friday that women in Afghanistan are subjected to persecution by the Taliban.
Quote:The ruling said that certain discriminatory measures adopted by the Taliban constitute "acts of persecution," citing forced marriage and lack of protection against gender-based violence.
Quote:The ECJ also ruled that authorities in EU member states do not need to establish whether Afghan women will be subjected to persecution if they return home, on an individual basis. Instead, the court said that "it is sufficient to take into account her nationality and gender alone."

Daisy
Kozlik's regular account 🐐🌼
9 hours ago
Quote:As such, the court sided with two Afghan women in Austria who had argued their status as women under the Taliban regime justified receiving refugee status.

This is good news. I hope this ruling helps Afghan women escape that hellish country.
Daisy
9 hours ago #2

Quote:As such, the court sided with two Afghan women in Austria who had argued their status as women under the Taliban regime justified receiving refugee status.

This is good news. I hope this ruling helps Afghan women escape that hellish country.

6 hours ago
(9 hours ago)Daisy

yeah it's one of the few good news i read recently. though i think this should be the rule for women from a lot of other countries too, not just afghanistan
scndskn
6 hours ago #3

(9 hours ago)Daisy

yeah it's one of the few good news i read recently. though i think this should be the rule for women from a lot of other countries too, not just afghanistan